Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Kitchen sink friends

Sometimes I am jealous of people who have the gift of musical ability (Pam). At other times I covet the gifts of the financially focused (April) or those who seem to exercise EVERY single time they say they will (Lori).
But lately, I have dreamed of being a dishwasher.
Do you have dishwashing friends? You know, those friends who are content to clean up the mess in the back while you relish in the company of visitors.
I am a little embarrassed to admit that I have never been this friend. I quite enjoy being right in the middle of the activity. In fact, I hate to leave the room until everyone else has departed.
What if something exciting or fun happened after I left?
Lately I have realized just how grateful I am to my dishwashing friends. There's Laura and Melanie at church, Carrie at Book Club, Brenda at work, Ingrid, Paul, and Thora in Norway,
and then there's Cindy throughout it all.
These people are the spine of the Body of Christ.
I am praying that even though I'm not a dishwasher, I will raise a part-timer at least.
**Please don't misinterpret this email. God blessed me with other gifts for which I am very grateful. But I will never need a pair of yellow rubber gloves.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Ashley,
I enjoyed this post, you have a great style of writing. I too am not a dishwashing friend. This fact has only a little do with the fact that I can't stand to wash dishes and more to do with the fact that I can't stand to miss out! I'm also one of those! You however, always bring your immense and lovely sense of humor to a gathering and for that everyone is always very thankful!