Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Letting go . . .

Butterbean has been napping at daycare without a pacifier for about three months now. I had casually mentioned to her teacher, Jenni, that I was going to wean her from the "paci" before she turned two in September. Two days later, Jenni informed me that Annika no longer used it at school. I told myself that I would follow suit at home.
First it was that Annika said she "needed" it. Then it was the excuse of her staying at my mom's house and being in a different environment. Next it was Geoff and I discussing that we needed the comfort of the paci on the cross-Atlantic flight to Norway.
Today, when I picked up my precious baby girl from school. She informed me that she went tee-tee on the potty after her nap.
As I praised her, hugged her, and let her call the grandparents, I realized the true reason I haven't weaned her from her paci . . .
I wasn't ready to let go of my baby.

Tonight after our normal bedtime routine, I placed her in her crib and told her I loved her. She said, "I need my paci, Mommy."
I replied, "No you don't. We don't have any more pacis, but this cute pink moose can sleep with you!"
She whispered, "Night, night. I love you, Mommy."
And she's been asleep ever since.

4 comments:

Anna said...

That is so wonderful Ashley! I have found it very hard to let my children get bigger! I know in my head that I must stop carrying Harris around but in my heart I don't want to stop!

I hope that it continues to go so well for her and you!

P.S. I hope school is going well...

Life of ART said...

I just found out last night that you had a blog, and this morning it's the first thing I did when I got up to have my coffee - Read Ashley's blog. Fabulous! I enjoyed every one of your stories, and I look forward to more.

*my sign-in 'cousin adrienne' must have been started when I was commenting on my cousin's blog, but I thought it was funny, so I kept it*

Kathleen said...

That brings tears to my eyes. I know exactly how you feel.

Kara said...

This is a big part of the reason Daph still rides rear-facing. I can't bring myself to admit that my baby girl is old enough to turn around.

It goes too fast, doesn't it?