Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Reflections on a three mile, 90 degree, 9:00 run





Okay, it's hot out here. I can do this.


Aim for five minutes . . . anyone can do five minutes.


If I can run five minutes, I can run ten minutes, right?


Where is the one mile mark? Oooh! A mile in 8:15, I'm awesome!


Wait, wrong intersection for the mile mark-ugh.




It's really hot out here. Why did I eat shrimp before a run??? Gross.


OK, I really feel sick. I can't get sick right here. That neighbor is pregnant, and if she happened to be watching out of the window, I might make her sick, too. Nobody wants that guilt.




Okay, if I can just make it to the dump truck parked on Braeburn, I can walk up the rest of the hill.


Made it. Yes! Oh-there's a guy watering his plants. I can't stop and walk now, my pride would suffer.
Do you think if I asked him, he would spray me with his water hose?
Umm, that would probably be weird to ask.

Oh, well.


Now that I'm out of his sight, I'm walking. I mean this part of Braeburn isn't even paved, so it doesn't really count.


Okay, your one minute of walking is over. YOU MUST RUN, Ashley.


Down Flat Shoals, this actually feels good. You can do this.

Another hill? Why does this street have a hill no matter which direction you run it?
Make it to the next mailbox. Now the next one.

It's all downhill from here, Ash.
If you can slowly huff up the Van Vleck hill, surely you can run down it . . . at a fast pace.


After all, you told all your FB friends that you were aiming for a PR at this week's 5k, right?
What is my current PR? Better look that up. It never mattered before.


PUSH through the last minute.


I made it!


I love running.


2 comments:

Anna said...

I love this post! You know that I'm so not a runner but... I have actually run three times in the past week and a half! This is a first in my life! Can you believe that???? Each time I like it a bit more and can go farther without feeling like I am going to pass out. Of course, we haven't had the kind of heat you had to deal with.

jelena said...

laughing broadly in knowing that we are all in this great big running mess together -- from the raging internal debate to the 1 minute's evaporation faster than the sweat on my brow. i'm right there with you - merely replacing van vleck hill with faith ave or glenwood place.