Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Tempo Schlempo

I attempted to run my first tempo run last night. Admittedly, I had to actually look up the definition when I saw it on my training schedule. I almost collapsed during the last third, but iTunes and the thought of Butterbean saying, "Run to the beat, Mommy!" spurred me on.

As many of you know, I haven't always been a runner. I half-heartedly ran on my high school's Cross-Country team. Then I didn't run for years. After being certified as a step aerobics (Please don't try to picture this!) instructor in 1998, I picked up running as a form of cross training.

Then I randomly signed up for a half-marthon in 2001 with my then roommate, Amy. We gave it our best shot at the Runner's World Half-Marathon in Allentown, PA. I loved the feeling of pride after completing the race, but then I let my running shoes gather dust in my closet for a few years. I did a few 5ks and even a Peachtree thrown in every couple of years, but I definitely wasn't serious about running as a form of exercise or enjoyment.


I caught the bug again while fighting the side effects of infertility in 2006. In case you don't know these side effects include, but aren't limited to: fear, depression, a total lack of control, weight issues, and personality highs and lows.

Since I could not control conception, I focused on reaching a goal that I had control over. . . the Inaugural ING Atlanta Half-Marathon. I began my training on January 1, 2007.

Unbeknownst to me, I became pregnant just a few weeks later. When I discovered that we were going to have a child, I was overcome with joy. I spoke with my doctor about the perils of running during pregnancy, and she assured me that if I listened to my body, I would be fine.

Well, I ran that half-marathon with my beloved Tortugas (pictured below before another race) while I was 11.5 weeks pregnant. I let them in on my secret the day before the race, so they could help me out if there were any complications.

I finished that race through major pain in my shin from mile seven to mile 13.1. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with a stress fracture the next day. My running shoes went back to the closet until 2008.
Fast forward to today. Now I have multiple 5ks and 10ks under my belt, four half-marathons, and one marathon.

Now I need more.
I need to challenge myself to PR at the Denver Half in October.
Here goes nothing.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I remember when you did the run with Amy! I still don't know what what a tempo run is? Also, what is the PR that you are challenging yourself to in Denver?

I love the fact that your running takes you to fun cities!

Many of my friends have gotten really into the marathons and half marathons. A group of them are doing a triathlon (a mini one) on Sunday. Have you thought of doing one of those?